Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Secrets from a Substitute- Week 1 Names


       After graduating from Penn State in May 2013 (WE ARE!), I was a substitute for a year. I was a daily substitute for K-6 and had an app in which jobs would pop up for certain dates at all different schools and I could accept them. During that time, I longed for and dreamt of the day when I would have my own classroom. I couldn't imagine the greatness of walking into the same group of kids everyday!

      However, I took every single day as a learning experience. I was fortunate enough to be in so many different grade level classrooms, with varying student dynamics, numerous management styles, and such a wide array of teaching styles. I started to take notes in a journal of what I was learning, thinking of maybe someday I will start a blog! My mom recently found the journal in my bedroom at my parents' house and asked if I had taken notes from teaching books in it. I thought she was kidding but she thought the ideas were great, so I figured maybe it would be something to share on here!

  Every Wednesday I will be sharing the lessons that I learned during my year of substitute teaching. Looking back at what I wrote a year later after being a full time classroom teacher made me realize these ideas really apply to any teacher walking into a new group of kids! So anyone in the teaching profession should tune in each Wednesday for...


Learning Names
    One of the most humbling moments as a teacher was at the end of the day after substituting for a wonderful 3rd grade class, they thanked me for making it a great day. They told me that so many subs come in and do not bother to learn their names but spend the day pointing at them instead. I was told that by learning their names I showed how much I cared and that I actually wanted to teach them something rather than just "watching" them for the day. The class explained that they behavior better for teachers when they treat them with the same respect they are expected to show the teacher. 

WOW! Such a little thing that I never really thought about from the student perspective! How many of you are guilty of learning the names of challenging student much quicker? They notice that, so go the extra step to ensure you learn the name of EVERY child you encounter. 

Yes, I realize this is different with a new class everyday in a substitute situation. Luckily, I wrote down some things that worked for me! 

Some tricks: 
  • walk around while you are teaching so you can see name tags and call on students 
  • play a name game in the beginning of the day, they will appreciate your effort even if you can't learn them that fast!
  • draw a seating chart for yourself and keep it nearby throughout the day
  • make an activity out of making stand up names tags, they know that your are human and need help learning their names
  • TALK TO THEM, learning something interesting about each student and getting to know their personality helps you to remember the person not just the name
*If a teacher leaves certain students' names on your lesson plans, find them first! They left those names for a reason so make that your first mission of the day as the class is coming in! 

Substituting is an AMAZING experience because it gives you the opportunity to talk to so many different children in so many types of environments. I am in this profession for the kids. Show them how much you care about their education by showing you care about them as a person- learn their names! 


Please comment if you have any questions  or any stories you want to share. Come back next Wednesday for more! Our next topic will be keys to having a smooth, successful day subbing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment